Towards the middle of the book (Teen Angst) Ned starts making decisions that will eventually shape his future, deciding his jobs, relationships, and college experiences. I think he starts his journey through manlyhood where the book pretty much ends. This is when he gets a girlfriend. I guess getting a girlfriend changes you for better or worse, making it seem as if it's a wild experiment that you know wont last forever. When it's really just a learning experience for Ned who has pretty much no knowledge in relationships.
But isn't that what the whole Coming Of Aage mumbo jumbo is all about, you're just learning. It's just taking random shots at life waiting to hit the bullseye. It may be a slow and sluggish process for some, while others will know what they're destined for when they're little babies.
When we first started this unit I thought Coming Of Age was when a "boy" grows a mustache changing his title to a "man". But sadly it's not as easy as waiting until a series of hairs grow on your upper lip, you have to attempt and take risks, gambling with your young years. Until you hit a solid spot on your voyage to adulthood that will anchor you down somewhere you've been longing to come across.
LOUIS! I love it gorgeous post so incredibly philosophical and deep man wow.
ReplyDeleteLouis, this is one of your strongest posts of the year. Great job and great insight.
ReplyDelete